22 Comments

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by neophob, neophob. neophob said: control your rainbowdunio with processing: http://www.neophob.com/2010/09/neorainbowduino-processing-library/ ledledledledled [...]

2. [...] Neorainbowduino Processing Library [...]

3. jim
    jim October 7, 2010 at 17:08 . Reply

I installed the arduinoFW and rainbowduinoFW sketches. I can see the “startup” screen showing the rainbowduino’s address, so I believe my connections are correct there. Upon running the sample processing sketch, I get this error message:

Exception in thread “Animation Thread” java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino.ping(Unknown Source)
    at neorainbowduino_simple.setup(neorainbowduino_simple.java:44)
    at processing.core.PApplet.handleDraw(Unknown Source)
    at processing.core.PApplet.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

After commenting out the ping line, I get this:

Stable Library
    =========================================
    Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
    Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
    neorainbowduino version: 1.0
    Sep 30, 2010 8:54:19 AM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino sendFrame
    WARNING: Failed to send data to serial port! errorcnt: 0
    Sep 30, 2010 8:54:19 AM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino sendFrame
    WARNING: Failed to send data to serial port! errorcnt: 1

Is there something I need to do to get the processing sketch to communicate with the arduino?

Thanks!

4. jim
    jim October 7, 2010 at 17:09 . Reply

I found what I think might have been the problem. In Rainbowduino.java I changed part of initPort to this:

for(int i = 0; port == null && i < ports.length; i++) {
    if (PApplet.match(ports[i], port_name) != null) {
    log.log(Level.INFO,
    "open port: {0} "
    , new Object[] { ports[i] });

openPort(ports[i], check);
    return;
    }
    }
    log.log(Level.WARNING, "Couldn't initialize serial port");

as the "tty" lines were causing problems for me on my PC.

After that modification, it works great!

5. siklosi
    siklosi October 21, 2010 at 12:25 . Reply

I have tried v0.6 on windows 7 and on ubuntu, but I get Unahandled exception type NoSerialPortFoundException and rainbowduino.initPort(); marked in code on both OS

6. saw0
    saw0 November 12, 2010 at 00:56 . Reply

hey there! great effort you are doing here!

i tried the stuff, uploaded the fw to arduino, and rainbowduino. i get the static startup image on the display, when i use the i2cscanner, my device responds positively.

now when i use a sample processing sketch what i get is this:

neorainbowduino version: 1.4INFO: found serial port: COM4

ping arduino, result: true
    Last Timestamp at 12 Nov 2010 00:54:13 GMT Arduino Serial Buffer Size: 0 last arduino error: 2
    12.11.2010 00:54:14 com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino waitForAck
    INFO: Invalid serial data [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
    Last Timestamp at 12 Nov 2010 00:54:16 GMT Arduino Serial Buffer Size: 0 last arduino error: 2
    Last Timestamp at 12 Nov 2010 00:54:18 GMT Arduino Serial Buffer Size: 0 last arduino error: 2
    Last Timestamp at 12 Nov 2010 00:54:21 GMT Arduino Serial Buffer Size: 0 last arduino error: 2
    Last Timestamp at 12 Nov 2010 00:54:23 GMT Arduino Serial Buffer Size: 0 last arduino error: 2

the rx/tx leds on the arduino keep blinking, but the rainbow is not showing anything but the static image

thanks

saw0

7. Osh
    Osh February 6, 2011 at 04:55 . Reply

Hey there…thanks for all your hard work with this firmware! I have some of the same issue as the other guys above…I have the default image on my 8×8 matrix, I have flashed the firmware on both the rainbowduino and the arduino uno and installed the processing libraries. When I run the “simple” example my tx/rx lights are flashing like crazy but the default image stays on the matrix and this appears in my processing window…

Feb 5, 2011 10:51:24 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino
    INFO: Initialize neorainbowduino lib v1.7
    Stable Library
    =========================================
    Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
    Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
    Feb 5, 2011 10:51:24 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino
    INFO: open port: COM1
    Feb 5, 2011 10:51:26 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino
    INFO: found serial port: COM1
    neorainbowduino version: 1.7
    ping arduino, result: true
    Last Timestamp at 6 Feb 2011 03:51:28 GMT Arduino Serial Buffer Size: 0 last arduino error: 1
    Last Timestamp at 6 Feb 2011 03:51:31 GMT Arduino Serial Buffer Size: 0 last arduino error: 1

8. Osh
    Osh February 6, 2011 at 16:57 . Reply

Thanks…I missed changing the buffer size on one of the files…now when I run one of the examples I don’t see any error codes and according to the Processing window everything looks good (SpaceInv) show the following code

Feb 6, 2011 10:53:17 AM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino
    ping: true
    intro part doneRGB: 16, 244,239
    RGB: 54, 129,201
    RGB: 113, 255,142
    RGB: 72, 209,183
    etc.

However the matrix stays on the default image. I currently have I2C connected to Arduino Analog pins 4&5…not sure what I’m doing wrong. Thanks in advance!

9. Osh
    Osh February 6, 2011 at 18:43 . Reply

Device address is set to 0×06 (changed and compiled in rainbow.h) and when I run i2cScanner it finds device 6

INFO: open port: COM1
    Feb 6, 2011 12:39:32 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino
    INFO: found serial port: COM1
    Feb 6, 2011 12:39:32 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino waitForI2cResultAndAck
    INFO: Reply from I2C device: #6
    Found i2c devices: [6]

Then it starts scrolling data but still have the default image…verified cabling with wiki, SCL – Analog5 and SDA – Analog4
    Everything seems to be correct, but still no dice. Sorry for the trouble, but I do appreciate your help.

10. Osh
    Osh February 6, 2011 at 23:05 . Reply

Thanks for the support…that worked for the “Simple” example, nothing else seems to work. Thanks again!

11. George M
    George M October 5, 2011 at 23:44 . Reply

Hello…

I’ve struggled to make this work on Mac OSX Lion. I don’t know if it’s the operating system’s fault… but any of the examples (e.g. the Scanner or Simple) all give me exactly the same output.

I’ve patched the libraries and everything…

Oct 5, 2011 11:42:40 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino
    Oct 5, 2011 11:42:42 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino openPort
    WARNING: No response from port /dev/tty.usbserial-A5005C6D
    Invalid memory access of location 0xb1ab8bf0 eip=0x17f7990c

12. George M
    George M October 15, 2011 at 20:18 . Reply

Michu,

thanks for your help. Mac OS X Lion is playing it difficult I think. :-/ I did what you suggested (and I know that the Serial port IS accessible because then the DTR/Reset is connected the Rainbowduino Flashes a couple times while Processing is trying to access the ports…) however, I still get this:

(This is when running the seeedstudio example, or your i2cScanner example… it’s all the same. Any hints please???

=—– Result: ——=
    Oct 15, 2011 8:14:09 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino
    INFO: Initialize neorainbowduino lib v1.7
    Stable Library
    =========================================
    Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
    Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
    Oct 15, 2011 8:14:09 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino
    INFO: open port: /dev/tty.usbserial-A5005C6D
    Oct 15, 2011 8:14:11 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino waitForAck
    INFO: No serial reply, duration: 32ms
    Oct 15, 2011 8:14:11 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino openPort
    WARNING: No response from port /dev/tty.usbserial-A5005C6D
    Oct 15, 2011 8:14:11 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino openPort
    WARNING: Failed to open port /dev/tty.usbserial-A5005C6D: com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.NoSerialPortFoundException: No response from port /dev/tty.usbserial-A5005C6D
    Oct 15, 2011 8:14:11 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino
    INFO: open port: /dev/cu.usbserial-A5005C6D
    Oct 15, 2011 8:14:13 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino waitForAck
    INFO: No serial reply, duration: 31ms
    Oct 15, 2011 8:14:13 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino openPort
    WARNING: No response from port /dev/cu.usbserial-A5005C6D
    Oct 15, 2011 8:14:13 PM com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.Rainbowduino openPort
    WARNING: Failed to open port /dev/cu.usbserial-A5005C6D: com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.NoSerialPortFoundException: No response from port /dev/cu.usbserial-A5005C6D

13. George M
    George M October 15, 2011 at 20:21 . Reply

May I note… I’ve uploaded the neoLed.ped to the Arduino, and the neorainbow-0.82 Rainbow_V2_71.pde to the Rainbowduino (w/ the Wire.h etc changes, and with 6 as the i2c address). My connected cables are: SLC, SDA, GND, USB5V, RESET and the rainbowduino shows a “face” and it flashes when I run the above code (e.g. the i2cScanner) on Processing.

14. Chad
    Chad January 16, 2012 at 00:25 . Reply

Will neo­rain­bow­duino work with the V3 Raindbowduinos? I have been trying for several hours to get this to work, but I keep getting com.neophob.lib.rainbowduino.NoSerialPortFoundException: Error: no serial port found!

I have tried with the V3 by itself and also with an Arduino running neoLED.pde, per your instructions. I’ve tried with mac and windows and cannot get any of the example sketches to work in Processing.