34 Comments

1. Iulian H.
    Iulian H. February 4, 2013 at 17:47 . Reply

hello !!!
    I am Watching this with interest for a long time and I appreciate your projects.
    I decided to build a LED display module controlled by two modules Ranbowduino v3.0 which I designed a buffer for each pixel rgb HEXFET transistor.
    Trying to use pixelinvaders-final I realised that Ranbowduino is not connecting with Pixelinvaders v3.0 (NULL ouput device). Operating System Win7 64, java 1.7.Although I easily use the hardware i am not so good at programming side.
    May you tell me how can I connect Ranbowduino v3.0 or other devices ( teensy 2++ and 3++) to pixelinvaders? .

2. Chris
    Chris February 11, 2013 at 01:44 . Reply

Great software! Ive been playing with it on my laptop just using the output panel to see the result. I building a table top 16×8 version using ws2811 strips. Looking at the interface files, I don’t see any compatibility for these strips. Are there any special considerations i need to think about to use these strips with your software and an Arduino uno as an interface? Thanks!

3. Jimmy
    Jimmy February 14, 2013 at 03:42 . Reply

Hello! Thank you so much for the great software!
    I’ve been trying to get PixelController to work on my demo LED panel which uses TLC5940s as the LED drivers. As the uC only requires serial input, I tried to use the Adavision output setting. The software was having trouble sending the output, and I noticed that it makes the serial port name all capitalized within the software, which prevents it from recognizing the serial port on my macbook. The problem’s in line 62 of Adavision.java:
    String serialPort = ph.getAdavisionSerialPort().toUpperCase();
    Once I removed toUpperCase() from the line, it works fine!
    I didn’t know how to use gethub, so I apologize for posting this here on the blog.

4. Chris
    Chris February 16, 2013 at 03:55 . Reply

One step closer to my final project.
    Using code created by Toni Merino http://www.deskontrol.net/blog/arduino-based-artnet-node-for-led-pixels/
    I am making 2 10×15 pixel panels. when placed side by side I will have a 10×30 pixel display, with each panel using a different universe and controlled via Art-Net
    How would I configure PixelController for these panels, and to talk to them using ArtNet?
    Assuming all works as planned, my first panel would be addressed as 192.168.1.200 and be universe 1
    second:
    192.168.1.201 and be universe 2.
    What changes in the config file would i need to make to work with this?
    Thanks!
    Also on another note, do you have a way we might beable to donate to you for your hard work?

5. Chris
    Chris March 8, 2013 at 23:36 . Reply

all 300 LEDS up and running, Here’s the Video http://youtu.be/rirEppdEpks
    Controlled via Pixelinvaders through artnet Thanks to Michu for all your help!

1. Jip
      Jip May 13, 2013 at 20:39 . Reply

I’m trying to get the ws2811 up and running as well, from a teensy. Did you make / alter the library on your own? Or is there an existing library which can be used?

1. Chris
        Chris May 13, 2013 at 22:11 . Reply

This is where I found the Art-net to SPI code Im using on my Arduino Mega http://www.deskontrol.net/blog/arduino-based-artnet-node-for-led-pixels/ ws2811 strips work fine using the settings for TM1809 strips.
        I dont about using it on a teensy though.

6. Kelvin
    Kelvin March 24, 2013 at 20:46 . Reply

I’m not sure if i’m being mental, but I double click the pixelcontroller.jar and nothing happens!

using macbookpro, 10.8.2 and just upgraded java to 7.17

any ideas?

7. Kelvin
    Kelvin March 25, 2013 at 00:35 . Reply

Hi,

After hours of floating around the inter webs and scurrilously looking, i finally twigged that the pixelcontroller.jar file is but 10kb… now thinking that that was pretty small for a file, i hunted through all the folders and found the PixelController-1.3.1 in the lib folder.

i can run this, although i get the error (of which i expected) as i didnt have the config setup.

i’m attempting to run this on a teensy 2… but do i have the wrong end of the stick as I can see the supported options and teensy isn’t down their.

i did think that i would have to flash the teensy to believe it was a rainbowduino… but then i realised that that was a retail product! lol

8. Kelvin
    Kelvin March 25, 2013 at 20:30 . Reply

i have 10 strips of 32 pixel ws2811, a teensy 2 and patience…

i love love love your software, and am just trying to put it all together.

if i run the pixelcontroller.jar it animates to show its loading (the quick flash that the mac does) and then nothing… if i load the pixel controller-1.3.1.jar in the lib folder i get to the initial splash screen with the error; failed to initialize pixel controller
    failed to open the configfile/config.properties

if i was a guessing man, because i’ve bypassed the initial file, then it doesn’t know where to look for the config file.. :-/

am i barking up the wrong tree with this setup?

just to add to the fun, i haven’t got a sketch for the teensy at present! :)

9. Jean Paul Mengin
    Jean Paul Mengin April 23, 2013 at 20:05 . Reply

Hello, I’m trying to run the pixel invader software… but it doesn’t comunicate with my matrix..
    My setup is:
    Laptop
    Arduino Duemilanove with Atmega328
    Rainbowduino V2.0 with Atmega 328
    One 8×8 selfmade led matrix with 64 5mm high bright leds.
    The led matrix works fine, cause i already uploaded other sketch on the rainbowduino.
    I downloaded the PixelController 1.3.1, and inside the Integration/ArduinoFw/RainbowduinoV2 folder, those are the files that i should use for my rainbowduino board??
    there’s also a Integration/ArduinoFw/PixelInvader folder with processing libraries SPI, timer 1, should i install them?
    I’m confused about the configuration of the output settings, so the software can recognize my arduino/rainbowduino.

Thanks for your help.

10. Jean Paul Mengin
    Jean Paul Mengin April 24, 2013 at 20:59 . Reply

Hello! well, thanks to your help my setup is working… beautifull colors, i’m very happy…
    I have just one little bug… one of my matrix led lines, on one side has permanently the green led ON, just one led of this row is OFF. They are not at full power not even medium, but its annoying to the full picture. This is coming from before i put the neophob firmwares. Maybe it’s something about that i’m using 5mm common anode leds? or some electrical thing that I should be doing wrong? any help is appreciated…
    and once again thanks for making this thing work!!

11. Jean Paul Mengin
    Jean Paul Mengin April 24, 2013 at 22:59 . Reply

Thanks for your fast reply, do you remember if there was any solution to this? maybe a tweak on the board o something?
    thanks again

12. Chris
    Chris May 13, 2013 at 22:18 . Reply

Recently I took my ws2811 strips, and used them in a model for my UNLV Scenic Design class, This is the result http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZTaQbMyNFE
    9strips of 20 LEDs, snake cabled.
    Running Art net from laptop to Arduino Mega

Thanks again to Michu for creating this software, and supporting it.

13. Sebastian
    Sebastian May 20, 2013 at 00:17 . Reply

Hello! First PixelController is great. I have finished my 18×10 ws2801 matrix connected to a RaspberryPi (UDP). In cause of high delay I have bought a Teensy 2.0 because I thought I can minimize the delay like described in the manual. Now I see that I can’t use the pixelinvaders arduino firmware because it works only with 8×8 panels. Is there another firmware for a bigger matrix? Thanks for this great software!
    Best Regards, Sebastian

14. Ben Sudbury
    Ben Sudbury October 21, 2013 at 10:24 . Reply

I can’t seem to work out how to configure 2 E1.31 panels both with 10 by 8 pixels. I have the first one configured and working fine and have set e131.pixels.per.universe=80 but I can’t work out how to tell the software that I have two panels rather than just one.

I tried commenting out nulloutput as below

#nulloutput.devices.row1=1
    #nulloutput.devices.row2=1

and a stab in the dark was

output.devices.row1=1
    output.devices.row2=1

but that didn’t work for me.

Ultimately I want 4 panels all on different universes on the same E1.31 controller. Is that possible? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance! My Christmas lights are going to be awesome this year.